Thursday, October 20th – Thursday, November 10th, 2016 – 4 weeks
Venue to be announced (Most likely in Twickenham or Kingston) 7:30-9:30pm
£120 — Early Bird Discount of £100 if you sign up before September 16th
(This course will be co-taught with the wonderful Rachel Michael, a classical dancer, and dance movement therapist who currently teaches movement and relaxation to people with sensory and physical disabilities.)
“Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.” — Rumi
The body is our most powerful means of connection. In this modern world of over-working, over-thinking and over-indulging, however, the body has become a forgotten instrument, an aging cello aching from neglect. Through movement we can learn to connect more fully with our inner and outer landscape — our pain, our joy, the people in our lives, the world at large, and even those places in our hearts that haven’t stirred for years.
In this unique four-week movement course we will be discovering the art of connection — befriending our bodies and giving them the space and safety to explore new territory. Through a series of exercises and guided meditations we will learn how to:
- Bring awareness to the body and its unfolding sensations, in stillness and in motion.
- Explore and care for our emotions and mind-states by allowing our inner landscape to change and flow (as expressed in movement and dance).
- Pose questions to the body which we will answer through our gestures and movements.
- Connect with the other bodies and minds who are sharing our space.
- Work through and with the hindrances to movement: self-consciousness, judgement, cultural expectations and norms, and debilitating emotions like anxiety and depression.
Martha Graham, a modern dancer and choreographer, said, ‘there is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique.’ Don’t miss this rare opportunity to touch and explore your uniqueness through movement and dance!
This course is already filling. Please email Andrea to inquire or reserve your place.